In inventing the world in Jaguar Paloma and the Caketown Bar, I wanted the names of the hometowns of women to recall the drudgery and limitations they left behind. Here's a map of the world surrounding Tartatenango:
- To the south, Montemadre: Mother's Mountain, and El Cuadrillo: the bolt or lock.
- Near Tartatenango: Caketown, is Escoba: broom and Hilado: yarn, as well as El Dolor: the pain
- also, La Ceiba Grande refers to a common tree in Colombia
- Villahermosa: Beautiful village
- the Magdelana River, the Cienaga Grande de Santa Marta marsh, and the Cienaga del Tigre are all actual places in Colombia